Organizer Linda Bennett said several new events have been added to increase new excitement to the 52nd annual festival, which raises money for Lions Club-supported projects such as eye exams and eyeglasses for those who need but cannot afford them.
The largest new addition to the Summer Festival line-up is a bass fishing tournament.
There is a $30 registration due Friday night at Paul Riley Park for two-person teams and $20 for singles. Fish may be caught in any area lake or pond. The tournament offers a 70 percent payback with prizes also awarded for second- and third-place finishers. Additionally, contestants can choose to enter the biggest fish contest, which isn’t necessarily the heaviest fish. Entry is $10 with $100 prize money.
The contest has a two-fish limit and concludes with weigh-in at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Fredonia park.
Call Kenny Ford for details at (270) 625-1064. The fishing contest is sponsored by Security Seed Company.
Another addition to the events is a two-hour concert by the Fort Campbell Army Concert Band at 4 p.m. Saturday. In case of rain, the concert will be moved to Fredonia First Baptist Church Family Life Center. Please bring lawn chairs.
Schedule of events
- Fredonia Fire & Resuce will lead the parade route when it begins at 6:30 p.m. The parade kicks off the annual Fredonia Lions Club Summer Festival.
- Lakeland Cruisers will have a car show at 5 p.m. at Fredonia First Baptist before the parade and drive in the parade.
- 9 a.m. women’s softball game
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m. inflatables for kids
- 10 a.m. pedal tractor pull
- 10 a.m. fish weigh-in
- 10:30 a.m. sack races
- 11 a.m. bingo
- 1 p.m. free throw contest
- 2 p.m. pet show
- 3 p.m. corn hole tournament
- 3:30 p.m. bingo and colored water balloon toss
- 4 p.m. two-hour concert by the Fort Campbell Army Concert Band.
- 5 p.m. washer pitch contest
- 6 p.m. music by local talent
- 7 p.m. music by Tom Peek
- All-day events include: face painting, games for kids, cake walk, silent auction, arts and crafts booths and a half/half drawing.
- Food sold throughout the day includes barbecue pork, chicken, burgers, hot dogs, homemade pies and cakes, cotton candy, snow cones, funnel cakes, popcorn and more.
- Big Raffle items are a gas grill, lawn mower, beach assortment and Y Flicker Scooter. Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5.