Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Trooper's last words heard on audio clip

"Shots fired, shots fired, shots, I'm hit, I'm hit, I need assistance, I'm passing out," Kentucky State Trooper Joseph Ponder said Sunday night after several rounds were fired into the police cruiser that would take his life. Seconds later an unidentified man who pulled over to help the trooper can be heard telling dispatch: "I really don't know what to say here. I just pulled over, I heard gun shots. This officer, I don't think he can breathe well. We're at 1-24 close to Exit 45." Those words are heard on a 10-minute audio recording of Ponder's last communication with emergency dispatch. A recent grad of the state police academy, Ponder, 31, was killed after a traffic stop on Interstate 24 West, just outside Eddyville, turned into a high speed chase.

For more, visit The Paducah Sun online.