Sunday, March 31, 2013

An Easter Song

The following poem was written by Ida M. Roberts and published in the March 20, 1913, edition of The Crittenden Record-Press, the former name of The Crittenden Press. It was submitted by Steve Eskew.

I once did view with dread,
The horrors of the tomb;
But now I see for the righteous dead,
The grave has lost its gloom.

Death is a conquered foe,
Then let him do his worst;
Although he lay this body low,
His fetters I shall burst.

And come forth from the grave
At my Redeemer's call,
Example of his power to save
A victor over all.

A wondrous beauty too,
This figure then shall wear,
for when my Lord appears in view,
His image I shall bear.

My robes shall glistening shine
Far whiter than the snow,
My soul and body all divine,
No trace of weakness known.

As I have borne below,
The withering marks of earth;
My glorious presence then shall show,
A form of heavenly birth.

Crowned with immortality,
I then can ever sing;
O grave where is thy victory
O death where is thy sting.