Thursday, March 27, 2008

Q&A with Dycusburg historian

Matthew T. Patton informs us that his Dycusburg book continues to remain popular. Who would have thought that the tiny town in Southern Crittenden County on the Cumberland River was so rich in history and genealogy?

Patton is selling the book for $50 until April 1 (it's originally price at $75), and encourages those interested in the book to e-mail him at matthewtpatton@yahoo.com. We sold them here at The Crittenden Press a few years back, and we could barely keep them. It's not surprising, then, that Patton's on his sixth printing and has sold hundreds of copies. Here's a Q&A with Patton about the book and his interest in the county's (primarly Dycusburg and Frances) history.

The Press Online (CP): What got you started on history and genealogy?
Patton (P): When I was younger, my brother was assigned a family genealogy project under Eric LaRue, his English teacher. I was a few grades behind my brother, but once he started, I was more interested than he was. I found a yellowed piece of paper that my great-grandfather, Ollie Guy Patton, had written about our family. On it, he told where my family came from (Laurel Co., Ky.) to Crittenden County. They moved to the county around 1878, settling on the Cumberland near Paddy's Bluff. The rest, they say, is literally history.

CP: Naturally, when you're studying family history, you start taking an interest in towns, right?
P: Absolutely. Because the majority of my family lived near Dycusburg and Frances, I began to learn, through historical osmosis, about those towns. Fortunately, too, many people had blazed the trails for me along the way, like Brenda Underdown, Fay Carol Crider, Doyle G Polk Jr., and Brenda Joyce-Jerome. Many, many others helped me along the way, and their names are listed in the front of the Dycusburg book.

CP: What's the story behind the Dycusburg book?
P: It's actually great how the whole thing came about. I was three credit hours short of graduating a semester early at the University of Kentucky. I approached my journalism professors and advisers and asked if I could write a book as an independent study course. They absolutely loved the idea and I worked on the book the entire semester. I really, really did not know how popular the book would turn out to be.

CP: What's the most interesting thing you've learned about Dycusburg?
P: I continue to stress that Dycusburg was indeed a great little town ... and it still is. I maintain http://www.dycusburg.com/, which is now in a blog format on the whole, and I try to convey that message. The most interesting thing is hard to pinpoint, but I guess the saddest part is if the three massive fires didn't happen (the worst in 1906 and 1908), the city would be much bigger than it is now. It's still a loving little community ... and hopefully one that you'll see become even nicer and cleaner within the next few years.

CP: So why should folks buy your book?
P
:
Never before has a more comprehensive book about the town been published. I have received so many notes from people through the years telling me they never knew how much history Dycusburg had! I really love talking with people and meeting people who have ties to Dycusburg. In the more than 500 I've sold, I've never had a complaint about the book. People genuinely love it.

CP: Tell us about the Dycusburg Veteran's Memorial.
P: This summer, a group called the Dycusburg Community Foundation will be erecting a veteran's memorial at Dycusburg in honor of those who have served our country in times of war ... both living and for those who made the ultimate sacrifice. We still have a ways to go to raise money for the marker. Go here for more information.

(Editor's Note: To learn more about Dycusburg, visit http://www.dycusburg.com/. E-mail Patton at matthewtpatton@yahoo.com to reserve a copy of the book.)