Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cherry to not seek re-election

Rep. Mike Cherry of Princeton will not seek another term representing Kentucky's Fourth House District in Frankfort, according to a news release from his office today. The Democrat, who represents Crittenden, Livingston and Caldwell counties as well as a portion of McCracken County, has served in that capacity since 1999.

Cherry said he and his wife Gale, who is in public service as well as Princeton’s mayor, “feel this is the right time for me to step down. There is no single reason behind this hard decision, but I will be almost 70 at the end of this term, and I feel the job requires an energy and enthusiasm more often found in one younger. I will still look for, and hope to find, opportunities to be of service to my community and state.”

Next year's session of the Kentucky General Assembly will be his last. His term will end in early January 2013, after a new representative is elected in November 2012.