Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Traffic Alert: Parkway ramp closed in Lyon


A crash is blocking the I-69 West Kentucky Parkway westbound ramp to U.S. 62 at Exit 4 in Lyon County.  This ramp was being used as a detour to I-24 westbound due to work at the I-69/WK Parkway interchange with Interstate 24 at Exit 42.

A massive concrete beam being transported by a special truck rolled off the truck as it was taking the exit ramp. It is now blocking the southbound/westbound I-69/WK Parkway ramp to U.S. 62. This oversized load will require special equipment to handle it and will be very difficult to get back on the truck.

At this time, state transportation officials expect the ramp to be blocked for 4 to 6 hours.

During this blockage, traffic from I-69/WK Parkway attempting to access I-24 westbound will have to take the Exit Ramp to EASTBOUND I-24 and travel to I-24 Exit 45, then loop through that interchange to head west on I-24.

This extended detour is likely to be in place for much of the day while engineers determine how to reload the concrete beam.